Friday, January 28, 2022

From Strong-Will to God's Will

From Strong- Will to God’s Will- 

Lessons from my Littlest Boy 💙

“No, don’t want it!” Four words that are bringing much defeat to my Momma heart, lately. My sweet baby boy has quickly grown into a very strong-willed, determined two year old. Mealtimes are a struggle, potty training is HARD, getting dressed, putting on a coat..you get the picture. All are just a few of the tasks each day that make it a bit challenging lately. Coupled with a Momma who is much older this go around and you have quite the recipe for a defeating day. I keep telling myself that it shouldn’t be this hard. I have raised 3 other humans, and they turned out healthy and ok…what is wrong with me?

I am the Mom who has been quick to tell other Moms, “This too will pass – don’t worry!”

And yet…I do worry.

Lately, I’ve found myself unpacking parenting books that I boxed away many years ago. Starting back through them again, trying to refresh my Momma brain for a few helpful ideas.

One morning, on the way to daycare, I looked at my little determined boy in the car seat behind me. So cute. So innocent to all that’s going on inside my heart. Oh how I love this boy of mine! Oh how I want him to understand I really do want to help him, despite his refusal.

“God, I prayed…I literally cannot do this.”

I feel like such a cry baby- especially with much bigger issues surrounding others. Why is it sometimes easier for me to surrender the big problems to an almighty God while holding tightly to the control of the little things, which eventually build into BIG things in my heart?

If God can part waters – He most certainly can help my toddler with potty- training obstacles.

If God can feed over 5000 with one boy’s small lunch- He most certainly can deal with my mealtime dilemmas.

If God can handle all the big struggles in my life, He will not fail when it comes to the little ones. But I must stop fighting so hard to make things happen my way. In my time. Because, like so many other issues in life, this really is not about me. It is about surrender of my ways to God’s ways.

When we find ourselves at our wits end, it is usually because we have exhausted all human effort and we are left completely bewildered and out of ideas. This is exactly where God needs us to be in order for Him to take over. His strength begins where our strength ends.

And, despite our determination of “No, don’t want it!” Our Father knows best and He loves us too much to leave us desperate. He gently guides us to the place of surrendering our strong-will to His perfect will.

Now..come on, Momma. God says - You can do this!

 

No comments: