Saturday, January 15, 2022

A New Heart

 

CREATE in me a clean heart, Oh God. And RENEW a steadfast spirit within me.”

~Psalm 51:10


Merriam-Webster defines the word CREATE as: causing something new to exist

I love words. I enjoy every opportunity to engage in conversations or read what someone has penned on a page. I delight in looking deeper into why we choose certain words to share our thoughts. I am often guilty of “reading too much” into why someone responds the way they do or why certain words are used. However, there is one author I believe carefully selects every word for a specific purpose. The words within the sacred scriptures are not half-heartedly selected, I am convinced of this. Thus the reason we could spend a life-time studying scripture; always finding something new, a deeper meaning. Surface reading scripture deprives us of the in-depth love and purpose hidden within every word, verse and chapter of God’s Word.

Psalm 51:10 is one of the verses that I find most beautiful. So much so, I have literally written this verse on every type of paper; index cards, notebooks, sticky notes (hung on my mirror or computer screens) just to name a few. I have texted, emailed and typed it. Above all, I have prayed this verse more times than I could possibly even remember. It is the prayer of my heart every single morning. Why?

For me, this verse is the very key to opening the door to each new day with a heart at peace.

You see, like so many, I know the pain of past disappointments, misunderstandings, unmet expectations, fear of failure. I know what it is to harbor regret and unkind comments. Over time, layers of negativity form, overshadowing the person we truly are created to be.

This verse, prayed each and every morning, clears the heart of yesterday’s ugly layers. It creates a brand new heart, filled with opportunity to love and share our lives freely with those around us.

Only God is capable of creating a pure heart and then re-creating it each morning. He alone is able to shape it with His mercies which are NEW every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23). All we need to do is ask Him. He is ready to create this heart within us every single day.

I love the thought of having a new heart each morning.

As if the creating part isn’t enough, the second half of this verse holds the promise of a RENEWED spirit. I dearly love the dictionary definition – to resume activity after an interruption. More to come on this with the next BLOG post. There is far too much to share. Let’s just say, I know a thing or two about life interruptions. We will unpack this together, next time.

Until then, take a moment to invite God to create a new heart within you today. Clear out the clutter. Unlock the door to a new day with a new heart. Oh…and let me say. God replaces the unpleasant clutter with beauty.

Your best days are ahead.

No comments: