Saturday, January 8, 2022

Release

 


A new year for me brings fresh anticipation. Yes, I admit, I usually spend a few moments lamenting and sometimes even grieving pieces of the past. I usually do a thorough self-examination of all the areas needing more attention in the new year. Resolutions and I do not agree. I tend to steer away from them. However, many years ago, I adopted the idea of choosing one word for my year. I begin praying and contemplating my word well before the Thanksgiving leftovers are cleared. For me, this word bears much meaning. It sets my focus for the year. I am always amazed how often God brings this word into my view throughout the year. It makes my heart smile.

For 2022, my word is RELEASE. I love researching the dictionary meaning of my word each year. Of course, I did my research for this one and discovered a beautiful meaning:

 allow or enable to escape from confinement; set free.”

Now, at first glance, we might be hesitant. Is this relevant? Do we dare admit the relevancy? As Christians, we often say we have been set free. Yet, sometimes we are fearful or too prideful to admit there are areas of bondage with which we struggle to fully break free. Past hurts, relationships, mistakes, regrets, fears…just to name a few.

 Release also brings to mind a picture of letting something go; possibly releasing control. After honest examination, we will most likely identify areas we try desperately to control. We also might find the need to release ourselves from unattainable expectations, which quickly usher in bondage over our hearts and minds. No matter which form of release is most relevant, one truth is certain for me..

 There is an unrivaled freedom that sings over my heart with the thought of full release.

I tend to think in pictures or illustrations. The word release immediately brings to mind a butterfly, held  in its cocoon for a designated period of time. The cocoon is a safe place, a protected place. It is a place of growth and certainly serves a purpose. Then, one day, the time comes to break out of the cocoon and fly. The butterfly has no idea the brilliant colors crafted within its very own wings. The hidden beauty countless others will gaze over, once it is out in the open, doing what it is created to do. God strategically paints each and every color, unique and glorious. I wonder… is God sitting on the edge of His seat waiting for the first time the wings are spread and the colors are visible? I choose to believe time stands still each time a butterfly is released to fly.

Do you see yourself in this illustration? I do. We are uniquely crafted by our almighty creator with individual beauty beyond anything we could possibly imagine. We were not created to remain trapped in the cocoon. We are made to fly and share our incredible gifts with those around us. We were not created to remain hidden in all the things that hold us hostage. Oh no…life is far too important for this. Just as seeing a butterfly quickly changes my attitude and perspective, our lives are a gift to others; changing and interrupting the sometimes ordinary day. Our lives are a gift to enjoy and share with others. The beauty within us is beyond compare. God sits on the edge of His seat waiting for us to finally trust Him and fly. I like to think He calls the angels around and says, “look right there..this is my child who is about to do what I created them to do and it is going to be the most stunning sight.”

God is personally inviting you to live a life of release. He offers grace and forgiveness, which are the ultimate gifts of release. Go ahead, my friend…spread your lovely wings.

 

No comments: