Monday, February 21, 2022

Worship Louder than Worry


What do we possibly do when we honestly have no idea what to do? When the worry is overwhelming. When the disappointment is too much. When we struggle to hope or dream again. When it seems like every door is closing. How do we respond?

First of all, if you are in any of these places right now, let’s pause together. I might not know you or your particular situation, but I am praying over you. In this moment. I am not brushing past this with a Mary Poppins smile or rose colored glasses. But my prayer is, that after reading this, you lift your eyes and dare to take on the impossible with a renewed determination to fight for your happy again, and to take steps to healing. You are worth it. There. Is. Hope. Because, hope is not in a feeling. Hope is not tied to a particular outcome, or place or circumstance. The true source of all HOPE is Jesus. And He is the ROCK that never rolls. He is the constant. The same yesterday, today and forever. He is not detoured by accidents or human choices. Nothing catches him off guard. He loves you. He is fighting for you. You can lift your hands, even in this moment and worship HIM. Let Him wash over your tired heart.

 I remember some of the hardest moments of my life, overwhelmed with questions and disappointment. I remember whispering the name of Jesus…And, Friend. He heard. I felt His presence like I have never felt Him before. And I have never been the same. I have never got over Him. I still have moments of struggle and worry. But I have never doubted the presence of the Lord again.

About 10 years ago, I started a Gratitude Journal after completing the powerful Ann Voskamp study, “One Thousand Gifts.” A simple practice of writing down 3 things we are grateful for at the end of every day. I was skeptical at the promise of it changing my life. I could not have imagined how much it would.

When we consistently choose to be thankful, our thoughts and perspective changes…possibly even BEFORE the circumstances change. The following is an exerpt from an article from  PositivePsychology entitled The Neuroscience of Gratitude and How It Affects Anxiety & Grief:

When we express gratitude and receive the same, our brain releases dopamine and serotonin, the two crucial neurotransmitters responsible for our emotions, and they make us feel ‘good’. They enhance our mood immediately, making us feel happy from the inside.

By consciously practicing gratitude every day, we can help these neural pathways to strengthen themselves and ultimately create a permanent grateful and positive nature within ourselves.

A grateful attitude not only changes our hearts, it literally creates new pathways in our thinking. Here is another stunning fact, Gratitude and Worry cannot coexist within our minds. One dominates the other. So, if gratitude can interrupt my worry, I am all for it. Natalie Grant once challenged a crowd to “Not let your worry be louder than your worship.” I captured this quote. In the moments when the worry is deafening. I will choose to raise a hallelujah, instead.

No comments: